I Like

LeeAnna asks

in honor of my birthday coming up:

How do you celebrate your birthday? Did you grow up with parties? Home made cake or store bought? Theme parties? Did you share a birthday with someone special to you? Do you give yourself a gift each year? Do you reevaluate the year somehow?



Fun questions!  I had a few parties while growing up.  Certainly, not every birthday was a big celebration.  The year Mom made her disgusting stew for my birthday is memorable!  Ugh!!!  Mostly Mom baked our cakes.  Her spice cake was my favourite.  Now we have store-bought cakes as I am not a baker.  For a while, I would get cupcakes so everyone could have their favourite flavour.  There were no theme parties for me.  I don't think that was a thing when I was growing up.  I did theme parties for my sons though.  I wonder if they remember them.  I do have photos though.

I usually treat myself to some sort of art supply for my birthday.  Not that I need more art supplies but I enjoy them and use them.  I might add I don't need to have a birthday to treat myself to some art supplies either!  

We don't make a big fuss about birthdays around here.  If I want a big fuss then I have to do it myself and even then...  It is a bit hard when one of my love languages is gifts.  I just try to be grateful for the small things.

I am grateful for crabapple trees right now.  There is a street lined with them in my neighbourhood.  Oh so pretty!  Even the petals on the road look beautiful to me.  I try to find beauty in unlikely places.  

I like the NY Times Spelling Bee game right now.  I find it more challenging and interesting than Wordle.  It is a bit more time-consuming but good for the brain.

I love the poet David Whyte.  I recently heard him on a podcast and oh my!  I want to get one of his books.  I can picture myself reading it while soaking up some sun on my deck. 



Comments

Fun to hear about your birthday memories, Angela! Spice cake sounds yummy. I've really enjoyed the blooming trees here this year, too - they're just about finished. You inspired me to try the Spelling Bee game this morning - it was fun and also challenged me!
I've never tried Spelling Bee. I do Wordle and Connections. Crab apple trees are so pretty in the Spring!
LA Paylor said…
never heard of david white but going to go check him out.
I LOVE gifts but seldom get one... I know daily giving is better... but... no ribbons and surprises! Glad to hear another person loves getting gifts too.
Crabapple trees are so pretty, messy and pretty
LeeAnna
Queeniepatch said…
To me, a great birthday is when a wish you have comes true. In my childhood, I often wished for presents. These days I may wish for sunny weather and be very happy if the sun shines on me.
As I do like baking cakes, and eating them, I might make myself a cake and share it with the family.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

I heart Macro

Slow Stitching Sunday