I Like


Lee Anna and the gang are talking about ice cream again.  

remember the ice cream truck driving around your neighborhood in summer?
Did you go out with your money, stand in line and get a treat? Remember
how it felt to go out on your own and leave with that three colored
Popsicle or the chocolate coated vanilla on a stick? What was your
favorite frozen treat? Is there an ice cream truck that still goes
around your neighborhood?

I did love getting a red, white and blue popsicle when I was a kid.  Mostly they came from the corner store and not an ice cream truck.  I remember walking to the store with empty pop bottles and getting a nickel for them.  Pop was a treat we didn't have very often.  That was a good thing really.  I could go on a whole rant about how that stuff is poison for our bodies.  

On another note, I love colour!  I love bling.  The five-year-old inside me gets positively giddy about colour and bling.  Yesterday I went to my fibre guild meeting.  The artists there are more subdued than I am.  I found myself comparing and criticizing myself.  Saying things like, their colour palettes are more mature, more artistic and just plain better.  

Okay, enough of that!  Today I looked up famous artists who use big bold colours.  Matisse, Klee, Mondrian and Picasso are some of the first names that came up.  That is some fine company.  I love the art that I make.  Of course, there are some duds but I don't let that stop me.  If my art is judged as unworthy by some so be it.  There will be others who enjoy it.  After all, I make art for me.  Pleasing myself is what counts here.

Comments

LA Paylor said…
last year I went through a fauvist phase... big bold swipes of unnatural color. Joy and I talked about how much we liked big swipes of color yesterday in fact.
just like food made by someone else usually tastes better, we tend to compare our work to others. I often leave a project thinking it's a loss then love it when I come back in the room with fresh eyes...
you keep doing you, I love what you do
LeeAnna
There was a corner store by my grandma's house - we kids loved walking down there for a treat! It's hard when we compare our crafting with others. I often think mine is not as good as others, too - but I've loved making it just like you do, so I think that's the most important thing. You are in good company!
Angie said…
Angela - thanks for your visit to my blog and your comment. It is such a human tendency to compare, and how destructive it can be. I am glad you thought through it again, seeking a more positive outcome!
I would always go for bright if I had a choice! I think it's always better to go bold! I think we should all do our own thing and just enjoy it!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday