Thread Scraps into Fabric


 I know I am not the only one who saves thread scraps.  I try to use up every bit of my thread.  When it gets too short to be able to do any stitching I stick it into a jar.  It is a colourful!  It is a bit of a rats nest though to anyone else who sees it.  Since that is only my family I am not concerned.  They already know I am a bit quirky and they still love me.  

Yesterday an idea came to me as to how to use these short bits of thread.  I got out an old/used dryer sheet and applied watered down white glute.  I then chopped up the bits of threads even smaller and applied them to the dryer sheet.  This was all sitting on parchment paper which is important.  I folded the parchment over the top of the thread and pressed down with a brayer.  I set it aside to dry.  I now have a piece of 'cloth' to use.  

I am not totally sure how I will use this piece of 'cloth'.  I was thinking of cutting it into strips and then rolling that into beads.  There are a lot of possibilities.  None of which would include being used in something that needs to be laundered.  The white glue mixture that holds it together will not stand up to washing.  

I am linking to

http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

Comments

Hi Angela, aren't thread scraps fun? I use them on water soluble stabilizer, quilt them any which way and then dip in water. It's a great way to use them up - I also tend to add really tiny fabric scraps. Have fun!
It could be a great mini wall quilt! I'm going to start saving my thread ends in a clear jar after reading your blog--sounds like a colorful idea!!!
Queeniepatch said…
This is an excellent way to use snippets of thread into something very beautiful. Instead of dryer sheets you can use Angelina fibres. That will set the threads firmly but you will also have a rather hard piece of fabric.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday