Illuminated Manuscript


 It has been a long time since I have done any calligraphy.  Thinking about it I am surprised to realize it has been ten years since I have belonged to the Royal City Calligraphy Guild!  What!  How!  Nevertheless, I do appreciate the beauty of calligraphy and illumination.  I was excited to see the beautiful manuscripts at the cathedral in Siena, Italy when we were there.  They were remarkably well preserved.  I was surprised at the size of the books.  They were quite large, each page being about 12 inches by 22 inches.  I didn't measure obviously so that is a guess.  I tried to find that information online but wasn't able to access it immediately and didn't want to go down a research rabbit hole!

The books are beautiful.  There weren't a lot of people there at the time so I did get to enjoy them for a bit longer than usual.  There was just enough light in the room for the gold to really gleam.  How wonderful that these treasures have been so lovingly preserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday