Paint Class

I was booked by a local company's Wellness Committee to provide a paint night for their staff.  How cool is it that this company cares enough about their staff to have a Wellness Committee!  Typically, participants in a paint night all produce close to identical paintings.  I was not keen to run my paint night that way.  One of the participants had been to a paint night previously and was annoyed with me for not teaching in a way that would lead to all having the exactly same results.  I explained that I valued individuality and hoped that everyone would put their spin on their painting.  Thankfully, everyone else in the class was on board with my idea.  The unhappy lady did come around in the end.  I heard her comment that she thought it was really cool how everyone produced something unique!  Yay!
It is important to me that my students have fun.  So at the end of the night, I asked them to come to wreck my painting.  I encouraged them to clean off their brushes and use the paint leftover on their palettes.  Pictured above is the result of that.  It was interesting how many were hesitant to wreck my painting even though it was not finished.  I explained I really didn't want another painting to match my sample so they had at it.  I think it could be a really cool start to piece.  I will add more paint and possibly some collage to it.

Comments

Suza said…
So very beautiful
Queeniepatch said…
Well, you know Angela, not everyone is creative or comfortable with making decisions. Some people need to copy others' work, some people need to compare their own work with others', sometimes to confirm they are better, or if they are martyrs, to confirm they are worse.
Next time you could have two plans, one that the participants make their individual projects and the other that they copy some famous painting. Let the students choose which project they want to do.
It must have come as a surprise to all your participants when you welcomed them to wreck your painting. I wonder if I would have been brave enough to be the first one to clean my brush on your work! The wrecked painting is unique!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday