Struggling

I signed up for the San Fransisco School of Needlework's 'Choices' challenge. I am regretting that decision and I think I knew I would and should not have signed up. However, I did sign up and I don't like to flake out. It took me a good while to come up with the right idea. I was hoping that I could also use the piece in the book I am creating. Just when I released that hope an idea came to me. My piece is based on the Robert Frost poem The Road Less Travelled. I want to depict a fork in the road and I was hoping to have some perspective in the landscape. I am just not very good at that and I have been struggling and struggling with this. There are aspects of this piece that I like but there are also parts I am not happy with at all. Do I just start stitching into this in hopes that the stitching makes it better? Stitching makes everything better right? I want to add a fall tree and fall leaves to it. I am also considering stitching the road in gold thread. ugh I really am struggling with this and that just ruins the fun. I am linking to http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

Comments

Nina Marie said…
Ohhhh Lovely, Been there, done that!! My heart goes out to you. I personally think you should spend a big more time in the design before putting stitching in because unstitching is tedious!! Don't be afraid to let go of your original idea to brainstorm some new ones. When this happens to me - I have two rules - Make Visual decisions visually and make one design decision at a time. If it gives you true headaches - hang it up - walk away for a bit. THEN go back. and yes "the struggle is real" Hang in there and let us know how it goes. So interested!!
Perspective is tricky. I've spent the past 7 months drawing with the aid of online tutorials. One collection of tutorials comes from the Circle Line Art Academy. All their drawings are based on one and two point perspective. They do a great job of breaking things down. I agree with Nina Maria. You may want to take a mini break and take a step back from the piece. I find when if I put something away for a week or so, I can see it with fresh eyes. You've got a great start.
Quilter Kathy said…
Oh yes... stitching fixes everything! And if you don't like the stitches, you just clip them away and start again!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday