A Prolific Creator


 I was listening to a podcast this morning.  The interviewer always starts with the artist's origin story.  Were you the arty kid?  I most certainly was an arty kid.  My parent's both worked with their hands and always encouraged me to do so as well.  I remember getting a tiny set of tools when I was quite young.  Dad let me use them to 'help' build our garage.  Mom knitted and sewed.  There were always fabric scraps that I could use.  I am so glad that I took a photo of the stuffies I created when I was about 11 years old.  I am pretty sure they ended up in the garbage as Mom was never overly sentimental.  

Birthdays and Christmas often brought arts and crafts supplies.  My oldest brother gave me a good set of paintbrushes possibly around the age of 14ish.  I still have them!  I was also pretty resourceful and found clay at a creek near our home.  There was a Bell telephone building not terribly far away and you could scrounge colourful wire from their dumpster.  I remember making rings and bracelets with that wire.  Then there was a shoe factory near one of my schools.  I recall getting leather from their dumpster but I don't remember what I made with it.  

Well, that was a fun little trip down memory lane.  It just reaffirms for me that art and craft have always been in my blood.  I am ever so grateful to have this creativity in me!  It is so good for my mental health.


Comments

Queeniepatch said…
I believe we are born with certain talents and abilities, or the lack of them. Some have a music ear, others are tone deaf. Some have a natural instinct for what colour goes with what others, for some that is the biggest challenge a kind of mental colour blindness.
Then there is the question if you are resourceful enough and have the opportunity to get your hands on wire, leather and such.
Finally you need the support and encouragement of your family and teachers.
You are lucky to have all three components.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday