I Like


Thank you LeeAnna for these questions. 

"Is there a class you'd like to take? What would you learn or do in this

class? Is there a person you'd like to study with?"

How long do you like classes to be? A semester or one day?  Have you
seen a class actually offered you'd like to do?

I like learning and try to avail myself of it as much as possible.  It is really easy for me to dive down a rabbit hole of research.  I like listening to podcasts while I am making art as that is a two-for-one deal.   I like teaching classes.  

Taking classes I have become less enamoured with over the years.  Two online classes I purchased were guaranteed to have lifetime access.  A very short time later they were discontinued!  That was disappointing.  The last in-person class I took was many years ago.  It was with a friend so that was fun.  I didn't learn all that much and find that is the case with a lot of classes.  In one class I took many years ago the teacher was so poor the other students were coming to me for an explanation!   I do not say all of this to toot my horn.  

There is so much that I do not know.  But I do know how to be a good teacher.  I have taken workshops from some pretty bad teachers.  They might be good artists but their teaching skills are definitely lacking.  All of this is to say that I prefer books, Youtube and blogs.  I can stay at home in my pjs with a good cup of coffee and learn all I want for next to nothing.  That makes me pretty happy.

Pictured above is my sewing/embroidery altered book.  It is really tough to show this book properly.  The left-hand side has a number of folder-type pages that all flip open.  The right-hand side has some vintage stitching and some of my own ribbon work.  Plus a tiny book tucked into the lace.  I will show more of it next week.  

Comments

Mary Ann Tate said…
I have to agree. I have had some really awful teachers over the years. I tend to rely on YouTube or books as resources. I really love those images of the old sewing machines. Where did you find them?
Linda said…
I'm with you on online purchased classes - "lifetime" did not pan out, but I was bored with them anyway - LOL! The last in person class I took was for free motion quilting, and I'm still no better at it than I was then. ;) I like your pretty sewing book.
LA Paylor said…
I TOTALLY agree on class comments. I've taught and it takes thought, work and awareness to herd cats through a day's lesson. I've had national quilt teachers who failed completely and were disorganized or didn't teach what they said they would.
I'm a fan of online week long workshops with lots of teachers... I linked today to a couple
My fave is Karen Abend's sketchbook revival.... chock-a- block full of good teachers on so many topics.
I had so much trouble with craftsy/blueprint taking my money and not letting me see the classes and had to go thru hoops til I finally found a number to call to speak to a human. I was so mad by then! They finally stopped new billing but never refunded my money. Grrrrr.
lots of people say its a lifetime but it's not OUR lifetime, it's their company's lifetime
LeeAnna
I, too, like staying home in my comfy clothes with my own supplies and learning on my own schedule. Teaching anything requires lots of thought put into the steps and techniques, and then time for students to practice, too. Your altered book looks fascinating - do you collect vintage examples of stitching and fabrics to put in it? Those look old!
PaintedThread said…
I do best with in-person classes if I need to take a class. It's been years since I've done that!
Queeniepatch said…
I tend to use the internet to find tutorials. I have been to a number of courses and workshops. I don't like those where I can't do more than start before the time is up. Maybe it is my pace that is too slow for classes...
Helen said…
I have learned to really appreciate being able to learn new things on-line. As an artist, there's always a video out there to help with new techniques or give inspiration. Also, I re-read your thoughts on not-so-good art teachers. I do teach an oil painting workshop69 for seniors each semester. I sure do try for it to be engaging and productive and fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday