I Like




It is good to be home and participating in I Like Thursdays again!  Thank you to Lee Anna  and all the lovely ladies that play along.  


Prompt June 1, 2023

what is your favorite flavor of ice cream at the moment? who makes it?
do you have more than one favorite?

soft serve or dipped? Do you buy it in the huge box or a pint at a time?

I am not a big fan of ice cream.  Now, having said that I did partake in gelato while we were in Italy.  More than once.  The pistaschio came highly recommended in Milan but I was not a fan.  The lime gelato I had in Switzerland was much more to my liking.

When I was a kid I loved going to Laura Secord at the mall and getting orange sherbert.  Yum.  I definitely prefer sherbert over ice cream.  I do like to go to DQ for a banana split once a year.  Well, not so much any more as they have become wildly over priced and just not worth it.  I will get a Skor Blizzard instead.  

When my first niece was two years old I bought her an ice cream cone.  It was a hot summer day so I am sure you can imagine what happened.  I can still picture the ice cream running down her hands and arms.  My sister was not impressed.  As a matter of fact she tried to return the favour when she was visiting one summer years later.  I only had two boys then.  They were two and not quite one if I am remembering correctly.  The oldest was a complete disappointment to her as he stayed perfectly clean while eating his ice cream.  Typical of him.  My second son did however make up for that.  

It is interesting the memories that are conjured up around ice cream.  My dad made the mistake of buying me a milk shake when we were in his brand new car.  Let's just say that my second son and I have a lot in common.  Giggles.



Comments

I've heard that Italian Gelato is yummy stuff! I think we've all had those experiences with kids and ice cream - it can be messy stuff!
I do love ice cream even though I don't eat dairy. I just might take a Lactaid and get an ice cream this summer. It was always fun when my parents said we could go out for ice cream after dinner. I miss those days! I hope you had a great vacation.
Queeniepatch said…
It is interesting to read about the accidents with ice creams. In Japan there is a culture that you should not eat while walking. Most ice cream shops have a small bench where you can sit and enjoy your cone. I am not sure, but it could not surprise me if the staff are trained to push the scoop of ice cream securely into the cone, many shops also offer spoons so you can eat rather than lick the gelato or ice cream. Buying ice cream in small paper cups is also very popular.
It is indeed interesting to look at a simple topic and remember one's childhood or seeing the cultural differences!
My favourites are probably coconut, violet, lavender and liquorice. I sometimes make garlic ice cream, made with pureed rosted cloves of garlic mixed with vanilla. Vanilla ice cream is also good with olive oil and sea salt for an adult taste.
PaintedThread said…
Oh, wow - I want to dive into that photo! LOL - my sister always wore more ice cream than I did. :-)
Angie said…
Angela - in the 80's, frozen yogurt came on the scene, and I remember buying a big bowl in between my master's classes. Blueberry flavor. Almost every day. I don't think I have had frozen yogurt since I graduated. Funny how things come and go!
LA Paylor said…
lime gelato sounds so good, not as good as a trip to Italy to get it though. I've always wanted to go there. Then when I found out about my adoption, found out I'm half Italian, whee!
loved the stories about littles eating ice cream. you reminded me of the youtube videos of English kids trying American foods for the first time, heh heh

LeeAnna

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday