I Like

 LeeAnna sure can come up with questions that make me think. 

do you like to sing for yourself, or others?


do people recognize your ability or has anyone said you're not a singer?
Do you judge yourself or sing for yourself?

other suggestions:   do you make up songs during the day, do you sing to
babies?  are you more comfortable singing high or low?

I have a weird relationship with singing.  I have been in a choir and a small group both when I was much younger.  When I was in the small group we played for a friend's wedding.  People came up to me afterwards and told me I have a beautiful voice.  I never really trusted the compliments.  Many times family members told me I sounded bad and that I shouldn't sing.  Those times tend to stick in one's brain. 

But both of those things can be true.  I can have a nice voice but sing off-key.   If I want to sound good I know I have to practice.  I don't practice any more and I don't sing for anyone else any more.  I don't sing very often but when I do it tends to be when I am alone and it doesn't matter if I am off-key.  I do it for my own pleasure.

I am loving Librivox.  My son told me about this site.  It is full of free audiobooks that are out of copyright and read by volunteers.  I love listening to the classics.  Right now I am listening to Moby Dick.  I know for sure that I would never plough through this book by reading it.  Mostly I am enjoying it but like Dickens, Melville is rather too wordy for my taste.  

I like my new haircut.  My stylist kindly took a photo of me.  I needed a good headshot.  I should update my photos on social media, etc.  Some of those photos are from more than 10 years and for some strange reason, I don't look the same anymore!

Comments

Cloudia said…
Keep your own music alive! I am applauding you
PaintedThread said…
Great haircut! I used to sing in a choir, too. Really enjoyed it. I sing in the car, but my range is terrible, so I rarely can sing on-key. It takes a lot of practice to get that voice in shape!
It takes a lot of courage to sing for others at an event! I'm glad you got compliments, but also sorry that people criticized you - that definitely makes us doubt ourselves. Pretty photo of you!
piecefulwendy said…
I don't know if I'd enjoy Melville on audio any more than I tried to like it in print form. I got about halfway through, and then just had to stop. Haha. The new hairstyle looks good on you!
Queeniepatch said…
I used to sing with my students, songs written especially for small kids learning English as a foreign language. Beauty is not important but the rhythm, intonation and pronunciation are. Singing is a great way to string words together the learning a foreign language, too. You don't hesitate as much as you might do when you speak the same phrase.

I like your new haircut, it suits you and you look so young and pretty.
Linda said…
Your new haircut is so attractive! Why is it that the negative comments stay with us more than the positive ones - I am the same way. How cool that people are volunteering to read audio books!
LA Paylor said…
the haircut really suits you, and don't you look pretty in your new headshot! You have some gorgeous blue eyes!
I let negative comments carry more weight than the positive... we need both but should let the positive take center stage. Singing is joy released into the world and I say sing out! I hear plenty of singers on tv who use auto tune because they are off key.
My husband has a weird singing voice, VERY off key, but I don't say anything because he sings from his very heart and I know he hears his voice differently. My family wasn't nice about my singing and as a child that can stall one in learning and enjoyment. Good thing we are bolder as we age!
Love, LeeAnna
Your haircut looks great on you! I love your glasses also. I still wear contact lens most of the time but would like to get some glasses I can wear more often. I like the classics sometimes. Nice to know about the audio books!
You look so lovely and a new haircut freshens everything up. I love the classics and use audio books more than I should these days. Thanks for that interesting link.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday