The start of another lap book

 My mother wasn't much of a cook.  But somehow she managed to make some meals special.  She had a table cloth that was used so much it had to be patched.  I now have that patched and worn table cloth.  I don't use it on my own table but I have cut it up to use in my art.  I have used it my crazy quilting and now I am using it in my lap book.  There's that theme of redemption in my work showing up again.  I want to use the good parts to make something beautiful.  I have a certain fondness for the old and worn.  I always have had.  Even as a child my heart went out to objects, pets, and people that seemed to need my love.

I covered the book with a piece of the table cloth and added a few more pieces of fabric.  I will add more collage components to this eventually.  I cut up a pretty pink napkin that I found at a thrift store.  It is the same style as the table cloth but seems like it was never used.  I am leaving the tattered edges of the table cloth to show.  It makes it all the more endearing to me.

Comments

Queeniepatch said…
When we have something from our own family that is worn, we love it even more.
That looks like very beautiful fabric in that table cloth. I am sure your lap book will be have with memories and feelings.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Journal for September

Slow Stitching Sunday