Years ago I was gifted with a lovely quilted table runner, not my colours. I was certain I would find a way to use it even if not for its intended purpose. I have turned it into a cover my flower book, bottom photo. Inside the book,https://www.quiltfabrication.com/ there are four vines. Each vine has at least 25 flowers. There are four sheer pockets/pages that hold the flowers. The vines and flowers can all come out of the pockets to create a garden, top photo. The flowers are made with bits and pieces of fabric, beads, doilies and buttons. Some are wet felted, some are crocheted. I have also used paper and tyvek. This was an absolute play time for me. So fun!
There is not loads of beading on this piece but there is enough. The hand dyed doily is the star of this show. While working on this piece I had a number of people ask if it was going to be a pillow. I guess it is about the right size for a pillow but it kind of made me feel bad. I think of it as art and want to hang it on a wall. Does it really matter that someone else thought of it more as craft/ a pillow? It shouldn't matter to me. Ultimately, I made it for the sheer joy of creating whether it be art or craft.
I am linking to
Yesterday was the last day The Grand Guild was at the Quilt and Fibre Festival in St. Jacobs. So glad I remembered to get a photo of our 'sinchie' display. The guild is full of talented artists so it is a bit disappointing that there wasn't one piece that made me say 'oh, wow'. There are loads of good pieces though.
I am finding it fairly easy to stay on track with my weekly water experiment. Keeping to the six-inch square format makes it easy to complete them. This one has a base of used dryer sheets. I tore up a monoprint done on deli paper and adhered that to the dryer sheets. I also adhered some thread bits and some mica flakes.
I started this altered book/journal a number of years ago. I wasn't completely sure where I was going with it so it got set aside. This week, out of the blue the idea gelled together and I completed the book. There are not a lot of pages in this book. Kind of different for me. I inked, chalked and stitched the pages. There are only one or two words per page that you are meant to read. The cover was created with some acrylic skins adhered to it. It always feels good to finish a project that has been languishing.
I pieced together some blue fabrics. I applied some expanding paint and heated it to make it expand. I also adhered some blues and white glitter. These little experiments are just fun. It would be great to turn these little six inch blocks into something at the end of all the experimenting. That may or may not happen. I will have to wait and see.
Pearl Ex, Inktense pencils, glitter and something else I don't remember at the moment have all been applied to this piece of cloth. I am not sure if this one is finished but can't think of anything else to do to it at the moment.
This page is in a little journal that I made from a paper shopping bag. There are loads of places to add my found poetry words. However, it is already bulging at the seams. This seems to be my tendency lately.
Our guild sinchie challenge is coming to completion. For May our challenge was to depict happiness. My piece is a truly mixed media kaleidoscope. The whole group of sinchies will be on display in St. Jacobs for the Quilt and Fibre show. It will be a really interesting display.
I worked keenly to get this small quilt finished this week. I had been thinking I would put it in the quilt show at the School House in St. Jacobs later this month. I have rethought that because it is based on a workshop, Stupendous Stitching, from Carol Ann Waugh that I took online. Although I think I did some interesting things with this piece it isn't original. I used my own hand dyed silk and that was a complete pleasure. I also added beading and silk ribbon embroidery. It is intentionally not truly square. I think I pushed the boundaries of the workshop to make this uniquely mine but still is a derivative of Carol Ann's work.
The base is a piece of sheer blue fabric. I adhered bits, pieces and scraps to it with a watered down glue mixture. I stitched on the sea horse charm. This piece is six inches square.
I am linking to http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/
I already have a very good start on my bead journal for May. I hand dyed the doily and love the way it turned out. This mandala series is giving me a lot of pleasure. There seems to be no limit on them. This morning I saw a quilt that was made with a doily-like tablecloth. So much larger than I have been working. That was inspiring and I will consider doing a larger piece in this way.
As a self-taught artist, I have developed a practice of experimenting with my own ideas, which seem boundless. Curiosity and research continually drive me daily. For over 20 years I have taken an explorative approach towards art making. My optimistic approach to life is represented in my art as I find beauty in even the most difficult circumstances. This beautiful, imperfect life I live is meant to be shared through my creativity, resourcefulness and curiosity. I hope to influence my audience with joy.